Home-Based Training for the Week of May 25, 2020
Greetings, all. There will be no virtual classes this Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day. Stay safe out there!
This Week’s Schedule
Please review the material in this post before attending Zoom classes.
- Memorial Day: No Classes
- Beginners Adult BJJ: 6 p.m.
- Hybrid Kickboxing (HKB): 6:45 p.m.
- All-Level Adult BJJ: 12 p.m.
- Kids BJJ: 5 p.m.
- Yoga: 6 p.m.
- Functional Stretch: 12 p.m.
- Advanced BJJ: 6 p.m.
- HKB: 6:45 p.m.
- Competition Theory, 6 p.m.
A word from emily
Some thoughts on showing up and doing the work.
Tiny Titans and Junior Champs
Submitting with the Americana from mount.
Adult all-level bjj
This is a takedown that can be used in self-defense situations and for sport BJJ. If someone grabs you in an under-arm bear hug from behind, many times, especially if you are smaller, they are lifting you up and taking you backward. To counter this and to be able to get the leverage to drop to your hands, shoot your hands overhead and hook one of their legs. You then should be able to place both of your hands on the ground. Select one of their legs and shift over to one side or the other so that your legs center it. With your outside hand cup their heel and start shuffling backward. They will fall and you will end up sitting on their hips. You can go for a kneebar here as shown in the videos. In a self-defense situation you could strike backwards with a few elbows. You need to keep one hand on the ground. If you grab the heel with both hands all your opponent needs to do is push you forward, and you will do a face plant.
José demonstrates how to attack a turtled opponent.
Building off of last week’s worm guard sweep, here’s how to transition to a back take.
Coach Mike will continue to teach how to build combos using the HKB numbers system. Use the top video above to familiarize yourself with it.
The move of the week is the spinning kick.
10-9, 10-9, 4-3-2
2-3-2, 9-3, 4-3-2
6-3-6-3-6, 3-2-3, 2-3-2
Strength & Conditioning
- Katia Silva delivers a workout this week to build strength and endurance, using sprints. The Workout.
- Looking for some extra training this week? Our friends at Locomotion in Princeton are offering Princeton BJJ members 25% off all virtual classes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your discount applied and get pre-registered for class. Visit www.locomotionnj.com to learn more about the studio and see the schedule.